- 1 (20 oz) pkg three cheese tortellini
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 Tbsp basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp finely shredded parmesan, plus more for serving
- Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds, then add flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, then whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer, then add tomatoes, spinach, basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Toss prepared and drained tortellini into sauce mixture (note that as the pasta rests, the sauce will seem thicker and it will sort of soak into the noodles. So, if you won't be serving it for 10 minutes or so you can stir in some pasta water, milk or cream to thin it out if desired). Serve warm sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese if desired and optional red pepper flakes.