May 6, 2010

Ruby Tuesday's Potato Cheese Soup

Wow. Who knew it would be such a perfect day for making soup. It is super cold here and is currently SNOWING...yes snowing and it is May 6th. Ridiculous. Anyway, on with the recipe.

Ingredients

* 2 large russet potatoes
* 2 tablespoons finely minced celery
* 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
* 1 tablespoon grated carrot
* 2 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons white vinegar
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus
* 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 tablespoon shredded monterey jack cheese
* 2 slices bacon, cooked and drained
* 1 tablespoon chopped green onion

Directions

1. Peel potatoes and chop into bite-size pieces.
2. Grate carrot.
3. In a large saucepan, combine vegetables chicken stock, salt, and vinegar.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and milk.
6. Add flour and milk mixture to the pot.
7. Simmer,for 5 to 8 minutes until soup thickens.
8. Add 1 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese to soup and simmer until melted.
9. Serve with Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, and onions sprinkled on top.


Ooooops!!!! I really screwed up tonight when making this recipe. The recipe calls for 2 Tbsp. of minced celery and for some crazy reason, I must have read the recipe wrong and I thought it called for 2 Tbsp. of celery salt. I thought that was going to be way too much, but I went ahead and did it anyway. When it was time to eat, the results were horrible...way too salty. That's when I figured out what I had done wrong. So, there are no ratings for this recipe. But, I do think it would have been good, had I made it the right way. Ugh... I hate it when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment