March 31, 2010
Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe was submitted by friend Karen. I love chicken pot pie and I must confess, have never made one. I sometimes order this dish at Wingers and love it. Chicken Pot Pie is true comfort food and is going to be perfect on this cold winter day...which is actually April 1st! Karen suggested adding more seasoning to this recipe and that is what I did.
* 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast-cubed
* 1 cup sliced carrots
* 1 cup frozen green peas
* 1/2 cup sliced celery (I was out of celery)
* 1/3 cup butter
* 1/3 cup chopped onion
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
* 1 tsp. Accent seasoning-(this was my addition)
* 1 tsp. garlic salt-(this was my addition)
* 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
* 2/3 cup milk
* 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper,celery seed, Accent,and garlic salt. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Kile: 8 This had the perfect "gravy" in the pie.
Destrie: he was sick =(
Posted by Jen at 3:10 PM